The Booker Prize is the leading prize in literary fiction written in English and we’re so excited to share the newly announced longlist with you.
These 13 books are all up for winning the Prize. They’ve been selected by a panel of five judges from 162 submitted books. On 15 September, the judges will choose six books from the longlist to make the shortlist, followed by selecting the winning book on 27 October.
The 2020 longlist, or ‘The Booker Dozen’, of 13 novels, is:
- The New Wilderness by Diane Cook (Oneworld Publications)
- This Mournable Body by Tsitsi Dangarembga (Faber & Faber)
- Burnt Sugar by Avni Doshi (Hamish Hamilton, Penguin Random House)
- Who They Was by Gabriel Krauze (4th Estate, HarperCollins)
- The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel (4th Estate, HarperCollins)
- Apeirogon by Colum McCann (Bloomsbury Publishing)
- The Shadow King by Maaza Mengistie (Canongate Books)
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid (Bloomsbury Circus, Bloomsbury Publishing)
- Real Life by Brandon Taylor (Original, Daunt Books Publishing)
- Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler (Chatto & Windus, Vintage)
- Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart (Picador, Pan Macmillan)
- Love and Other Thought Experiments by Sophie Ward (Corsair, Little, Brown)
- How Much of These Hills Is Gold by C Pam Zhang (Virago, Little, Brown)
Get involved with your reading group
Are you in a reading group? You can get involved by applying to shadow one of the shortlisted books. There will be twelve groups involved, and each of the six shortlisted books will be read by two groups.
We welcome applications from all groups, and we’re particularly looking for groups of young adults or students, and those who are active on social media. We recommend only applying for this offer if your group members are aged 16+.
To apply, you just need to make sure that your group is registered on Reading Groups for Everyone, then fill in the application form on the Noticeboard, telling us why you want to be involved.
If selected, you’ll allocated a book, sent copies of it for your members, and will be asked to write reviews for our website.