What is it?
Blackout poetry rearranges and removes words to create a different meaning.
Create a completely new poem from previously published words. The reader is free to interpret your finished poem as they wish!
Where will it happen?
You can do it wherever! You just need some old books, newspapers or any text you can find.
You also need some marker pens (any colour dark enough to cover up text) and a pencil. An old picture frame to display your work looks great!
When is it?
Also known as newspaper blackout poetry, use a permanent marker to cross out or eliminate words from an old book or photocopy a page from a new book.
• Take the page of an old book
• Find some key words on the page that interest you. Circle them with pencil.
• Find some different words that link your key words together to form sentence(s)
• Use the marker pen to erase all the words you have NOT circled
• Read your poem out or frame it for a great piece of art!